sendmail debug thingy

Terry R. Friedrichsen terry at venus.sunquest.com
Thu May 2 10:55:51 AEST 1991

jkp at cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) writes:

>For the record, I also don't believe that the sendmail debug feature
>was 'widely known', whatever that means.

And now I read in Unix TODAY! that the "Dutch crackers" are cracking systems
by exploiting a sendmail bug, but "not the same one that the RTM worm used"
(paraphrasing).

Terrific.  ANOTHER hole I could close if I only knew what it was.  The
Dutch crackers evidently have lists of security holes that they're playing
off.  I wish *I* could see those lists.

Maybe I can get the crackers to send me mail, since Dan won't.  ;-)

Controlling security hole distribution is like controlling guns:  if you
do it, only the criminals will have guns (or security hole information).
The ordinary citizen is defenseless.  (Before you flame, please note that
I am not taking sides here, merely pointing out the parallel.)

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry at venus.sunquest.com  (Internet)
uunet!sunquest!terry	  (Usenet)
terry at sds.sdsc.edu        (alternate address; I live in Tucson)

Quote:  "Do, or do not.  There is no 'try'." - Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back