BSD virtual memory mngmt algorithm. Was: Performance Tuning Ultrix 4.1

Andrew Valencia vandys at sequent.com
Sun May 12 00:40:54 AEST 1991

torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:

>Well no: while the old VM was rather icky and somewhat painful to
>modify for 3-level schemes such as the i386 and 68030, it did work
>pretty well for anything that had hardware PTEs.

	Actually the '030 can do both 2- and 3-level tables.  The kicker
was the '040 which can only do 3-level.  Rumor has it that they did this
because they felt they didn't have the real estate to do it both ways on
the chip.  They went for 3-level because they felt it better addressed the
low end--low end, 68040, go figure.  I probably don't have the complete
story, could someone from Moto flesh this out?

	The i386 is only 2-level page tables.  I guess you could call
it 3-level if you count the segmentation.  But most companies just make
that a flat 32-bit segment and forget about it.

				Andy Valencia
				vandys at sequent.com

Disclaimer: these are only my opinions, and probably completely
	wrong at that.