BSD tty security, part 4: What You Can Look Forward To

Jyrki Kuoppala jkp at cs.HUT.FI
Thu May 2 00:21:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr30.164646.11693 at pcserver2.naitc.com>, kdenning at pcserver2 (Karl Denninger) writes:
>I've got a few ideas too, but most of them rely on the pty being
>world-writable.  I normally run with "mesg n"; if these bugs get through
>>that< then I really do want to hear about it, and exactly what he's talking
>about.

The program doing the stuffing can just open the pty before you say
'mesg n' on it.  Looking at what Dan has posted, I wouldn't be
surprised if there were other ways also, but I don't have more
information on that

>Now if the manual pages are wrong (ie: they're lying) with regards to the
>restrictions on some of those ioctl calls......

I don't think they are lying, just that at least some of the
restrictions can be gotten around.

//Jyrki