BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Wed May 1 02:30:21 AEST 1991

In article <15896:Apr2714:35:3991 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
-Does anyone agree with Jef that it's ``disgusting'' to see
-	Message from operator at kramden on ttyp7 at 10:24 ...
-	operator: this is where the text goes
-	operator: and so on
-	End of message from operator at kramden on ttyp7 at 10:25

I would say rather that it's overengineered for the purpose.

-3. Do people think it's a problem that ``write'' can flood a terminal
-with output before the recipient has a chance to react?

I would put the burden of terminal display management on the terminal,
not on the "write" utility (which is not in a position to do it properly).