VGA DOS APPS ON XTERMS W/SCO

Wu Liu wul at sco.COM
Sat May 4 06:18:45 AEST 1991

/--johnc at sunriv.UUCP (John Crittenden) said...
| In article <1991May1.174809.17089 at msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> burroak at convex.cl.msu.edu (newell franks) writes:
| >I am trying to find a way to run dos VGA apps. on an xterminal.
| >My xserver is a AST486/33E running SCO OPEN DESKTOP and my xterminals are
| >HP700X's. So far I've only been able to run CGA. The VGA apps. that I would
| >like to run work ok on the console via the ZOOM option, but the xterms don't
| >have that option. The screens on the xterms are 1024x768. Any help would be
| >greatly appreciated. Please send E-mail to burroak at convex.cl.msu.edu.
| >
| >Thanks in advance,   Jeff
|
| I don't suppose replacing your X terminal is an option? :-)
| The SunRiver Xcel terminals have a builtin VGA controller to
| do exactly what you are talking about: full-screen VGA (works
| with DOS Merge or native UNIX apps), with multiscreens.
\--

You can't run EGA or VGA level graphics on anything other than an
Xsight server on the console of the machine you're using, because
currently EGA/VGA graphics can only be done by zooming (i.e.
giving Merge direct access to the video card).  This method pretty
much limits the use of this feature to the console.  You can run
CGA graphics (320x200-4) inside a window on virtually any X server,
since this mode is being emulated (ever notice how slow screen
updates are inside that CGA window?), but it would be impractical
to do this for either EGA (640x350-16) or VGA (640x480-16), given
the increase in pixels and color planes.