Should Dan post full details of his tty bugs?

Dave Hayes dave at jato.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 10 10:52:44 AEST 1991

bharat at computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Bharat Mediratta) writes:

>patch some obscure bug with tty.  An undergrad with a lot of free time
>on his hands (which is the majority, let's face it) is going to be
>a lot more enthusiastic about spending a few hours with the old manuals

>This isn't the newsgroup for flames or for personal insults, and neither
>is it the group for undermining system security.  The best thing to
>do is for Dan send the fix to the developers and drop the subject.  Maybe
>that way we can prevent even more people from learning the trick.

That would have been GREAT at the outset, but now the damage is done.

The correct thing (assuming Dan was egoless) to do now would be to
disseminate the information he has in such a way as to get to the
system administrators that need to know (read *90%* of them) so that
they can plug the hole.

Unfortunately, Dan has an ego...one big enough to sit around blabbering
that he knows something that we don't...and he feeds it by implying the
relative stupidity of those of us who are overworked and haven't the
time to go searching through manuals to figure out the nature of
the obscurity.

This isn't the place for personal insults, eh? I think Dan insults a LOT
of people by his attitude. Let the guy take what he's been dishing out.
--
Dave Hayes - Network & Communications Engineering - JPL / NASA - Pasadena CA
dave at elxr.jpl.nasa.gov       dave at jato.jpl.nasa.gov           ames!elroy!dxh

   If your own vice happens to be the search for virtue,
                                  recognize that it is so.