BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It

Robert Elz kre at cs.mu.oz.au
Sat May 4 19:33:15 AEST 1991

ssd at engr.ucf.edu (Steven S. Dick) writes:

>I've written my own write replacement [which I probably should release
>to the net] that lets you type your whole message before it sends it.

You don't need to write a "write" replacement to do that, you just
do

	write user <<!
	message
	!

	or

	cat | write user

but while that's sometimes useful it's not what write is meant for, you're
not supposed to sit and wait for the rest of the message after you see the
line with the sender's name on it - you're supposed to write back, write
is basically intended for interactive conversations, if your write makes
you finish the whole thing before the recipient gets to see any of it,
how can you possibly respond to his thoughts if your write has already
completed?

kre