BSD tty security, part 4: What You Can Look Forward To

Jyrki Kuoppala jkp at cs.HUT.FI
Sun May 5 22:52:40 AEST 1991

In article <438 at pharaoh.UUCP>, ian at pharaoh (Ian Crocker) writes:
[TIOCNOTTY]
>However when you try and do the TIOCSTI it fails on
>all the systems I have tried it on because you are not the owner of the
>device. I know that the manual says it should work as you are trying
>to do the ioctl on your control terminal, but this is not the case on my
>systems - you have to own the device or have an euid of 0.

Hmm, I haven't checked lately and am not sure if I remember it
correctly but are you sure after attaching to another tty you did open
("/dev/tty", O_RDWR) and then the TIOCSTI on that file descriptor ?

That worked on a pretty generic bsd 4.3 system at least a couple of
years ago.

//Jyrki