Dual Universes

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Thu May 2 09:57:24 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
> richard at locus.com (Richard M. Mathews) writes:
> >Let's merge BSD and SysV now, resolve the conflicts, then start over
> >inventing new features to create the next generation of splitting.
> Better yet, let's start from scratch and do everything better.  Then write
> equivalent commands and compatible library functions.

But how do we do this without hitting the "second system effect" in
spades?

Why not just help something like the BSD effort (which is doing the second
half of what Sean suggests) but not starting from scratch?

> One person I've talked to had a 5MByte SysVr4 kernel.  Sick.

Also screwed-up somehow.  The V.4 kernels I've seen have been larger than
V.3 kernels, but nothing all that huge.  I'm curious what you have to botch
to get a kernel that large.  (I'm *not* saying that V.4 isn't huge--just
that I haven't seen it *that* huge [yet].)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.