BSD tty security, part 4: What You Can Look Forward To

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Fri May 3 04:11:45 AEST 1991

In article <83658694 at bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>In article <11974:May214:00:3691 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>>                       I again invite you and everyone else to stop
>>spouting the same tired old rhetoric and start paying attention to this
>>case on its own merits.
>
>I suggest this invitation would not have been needed if 'brnstnd' had
>been somewhat more professional in his original announcement.  I can't
>be the only one who found it a bit annoying.

 I didn't find anything annoying in the original announcement.  I thought
Dan explained the situation quite clearly.  Sure there was plenty of room
to disagree with some of his opinions, but it was easy to distinguish
fact from opinion.

>In this case it would probably have been enough to say "I seem to have
>found a security bug in BSD ttys; the following vendors and versions are
>known to be affected; the following are known to be OK; for further
>details mail me at <address>."  No big fuss, no cause celebre, just
>quiet, effective response.

 Sorry for the "grammatical" correction, but didn't you intend that last
sentence to read:  No big fuss, no cause celebre, just quiet, INeffective
NONresponse.