aix curses problem

Brian Ampolsk brian at enkil.UUCP
Wed May 15 09:51:03 AEST 1991

The following code fragment is from a program running on a Perkin-Elmer 32xx
under Xelos (P-E's version of Unix V.2).  We are converting to a RISC/6000
and on that system, this program abends.  The culprit appears to be
"setscrreg".  When we note out this line, the program works fine, with the
minor exception, of course, that we lose our screen scroll region and the entire
screen scrolls instead.  The same thing happens if we use wsetscrreg, mvwprintw,
and wrefresh with stdscr.   We are using AIX 3.1.  Unfortunately, the system
arrived without documentation - either paper or cd-rom, both of which are
back ordered!  Big Blue strikes again!  So, any special requirements are locked
up somewhere in the back order.  Anyway, I would have thought that curses is
one of those things that is consistent among any and all versions of Unix/Xenix/
Xelos, etc.  On the other hand, I would also have expected an /etc/gettydefs....
Or a standard version of lp ....  Dream on!  Anyway, any help or ideas will be
greatly appreciated.

BTW, I don't have access(yet) to comp.unix.aix, so I have posted this
everywhere else I can think of.  Also, since I read my mail more frequently
than the news, I'd appreciate any responses by mail.

Thanks,

Brian

#include <curses.h>
#include <signal.h>

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char *argv[];
{
	initscr();
	noecho();
	cbreak();
	idlok(stdscr,TRUE);
	scrollok(stdscr,TRUE);
	setscrreg(10,20);       <------This line causes a core dump!
	mvprintw(1,1,"PROGRAM ERROR OR END");
	mvprintw(2,1,"PRESS <RET> TO RETURN TO MENU: ");
	refresh();
	endwin();
	exit(0);
}
Brian D. Ampolsk - Wynnewood *nix Consultants - (215) 642-2250
				   1605 Brookhaven Rd.
				   Wynnewood, PA 19096
UUCP:  ..!uunet!enkil!brian			INTERNET:  brian at enkil.UUCP