Shared libraries (was Re: Window system bashing (was Re: X11 bashing))

Hans Mayer mayer at gmdzi.gmd.de
Fri May 10 16:53:35 AEST 1991

>From article <1991May09.032802.27213 at decuac.dec.com>, by mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum):
>
> 	I was talking this over with someone the other day who claimed
> that SunOs' more recent versions have "often used" utilities like /bin/ls
> statically linked because there were complaints of performance hits -
> can anyone confirm or deny this?

jupiter% file /bin/ls
/bin/ls:        mc68020 pure dynamically linked executable
jupiter% strings /vmunix | grep SunOS
SunOS Release 4.1.1 (GENERIC) #1: Thu Apr 25 16:42:43 MET DST 1991
jupiter%

--
Hans J. Mayer, mayer at gmdzi.gmd.de (or hmayer at venus.darmstadt.gmd.de)
German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)