OSF/1, SVR4, AIX, 4.4BSD [Was Re: Dual Universes]

Frank P. Bresz fpb at ittc.wec.com
Wed May 15 12:50:33 AEST 1991

I have been following the thread and more people then I care to mention
have said things and I have also lost some of the thread.  This is honest
to goodness inquiry not a joke.

My understanding is that it has basically come down to 2 'major corporate'
camps :

	SVR4(Sun, Now HP?)   vs.  OSF/1 (DEC, IBM, ???)

1. I know there are more but just what is the current scorecard as for whose
on whose side.  Or more appropriately Who's on first What's on second...

2. Having been a user of Sun Workstations for >2 years, and also having
just received 10 DECstation 5000's + a shiny new VAX running VMS.  I have
this inquiry.  Is there somewhere on the Net I can get an 'informative'
comparison to what these things are going to evolve to be.

I have read trade rags ad infinitum and to me they just confuse the issue.
I know that this forum has a better (or at least should) idea than they do.
I mean, their combined knowledge could probably be summed up quicker than
it has already taken me to write this.

3. I have been barraged by the local DRECnoids as to 'OSF/1 and MOTIF is
the wave of the future' what will you do with your Suns when it arrives?

My current 'unverbalized' response has been :

'Since that date is as near to, when hell freezes over, as not to matter I
personaly am not overly concerned.'

Should I be?