speed problems with EISA motherboard

Perry L. Statham statham at cactus.org
Tue Apr 16 05:39:23 AEST 1991

We have recently upgraded from a 485/25 ISA motherboard to a 486/33 EISA
motherboard.  We use SCO Xenix 2.3.3 and have two ESDI hard disks.

The problem is that there do not seem to be very many EISA/ESDI hard   disk
controllers on the market and therefor our throughput is even lower than
before we got the EISA board.  We have tried the UltraStor controller
but they do not have a Xenix driver for it to make use of the cache. Our
applications are very database intensive and we have an average of 21
users on the system during the day. We are using an intelligent I/O sub-
sytem with it's own cache so we do not think it is the bottleneck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point we are getting desparate
yet we do not want to switch our disk sub-system to SCSI and upgrading
to SCO Unix can be prohibative.

Thanks in advance,
Perry Lee Statham
statham at cactus.org