How to access U area from proc table

Curt Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Sat Jun 15 21:43:46 AEST 1991

In article <8D-B4F1 at xds13.ferranti.com>
  kunkee at ficc.ferranti.com (randy kunkee) writes:

> I expected the ADDR field of ps -l to point directly to the U area, but
> it does not.  Apparently it points to a 7 to 9 byte structure which
> then points to the U area.  This is small structure is what is referenced
> by proc.p_caddr.

It's probably a little trickier than that, actually.  My device driver
handbook that came with my 286 SCO Xenix indicates that a u_area can
be swapped out (specifically, it warns against interupt routines
attempting to modify the u_area of any process).

cjs
--
                        | "This sound system comes to you with fuel injection.
Curt Sampson            |  Toes tapping, the unthinking masses dance to a new
curt at cynic.uucp         |  tune. . . . Undress yourself to this bastard.  Suck
curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca |  on this plan of noise, bimbo!"       --Gary Clail