SCO XENIX and an external ARCHIVE VP 150e

Perry Minyard 3MTA3 perry at bluemtn
Sat Nov 3 03:14:25 AEST 1990

We run SCO XENIX 2.3.2 on a 33mhz 80386 based machine.   Our tape backup
is a 150 meg archive VP 150e.   One thing that I'd like to point out is
if we put a 250meg tape in (3M DC6250), it will go ahead and backup
the full 250 meg to the tape... I guess the drive just backs up until the
tape runs out.  This is nice.

Now for the weirdness:   If I take out a tape, and put it back in,
the first time I try to access the drive, i.e. "tar -tvbf 20 /dev/rct0",
I get the error message cannot access /dev/rct0.  If I type that same
command again, it works.   It's only after I put in a tape that I get
the error, but then it works after making a second attempt.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Perry Minyard
--
                               | Perry Minyard
"A mind is a terrible thing    | 71020.3073 at compuserve.com           (Internet)
 to taste." - Ministry         | ..!emory!bluemtn!perry              (UUCP)