Questions about Cache

bill spiesman mca at ut-emx.uucp
Mon Nov 26 07:42:00 AEST 1990

I just purchased a 486 system. I am trying to
get Xenix up and running. The box came with
'Award BIOS 3.10' and 64K of external cache.
When I try to disable the Shadow RAM (for Xenix)
I cannot complete the setup; it complains of a
display timing error and never tries to boot.
Has anybody else run into this BIOS problem?

If I leave the shadowing enabled, I can boot,
but I later get panic - parity error after
a while. Do any of you out there with caching
machines know how the cache ought to be
configured in order to run Xenix (2.3.3)?

Bill Spiesman

spiesman at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov