Serial printer woes

Ralf Holighaus ralfi at pemstgt.PEM-Stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 21 03:38:11 AEST 1990

greg at bluemtn (Greg Richter (2XS)) writes:

>We have an Okidate 393 running at 9600 baud through an Anvil multiport
>serial card.  Works fine, but crashes during the printing of big jobs.

>We have tried a bunch of things, talked to SCO, etc.  We are hopefully
>missing something very basic, that we overlooked.  Any ideas people ?

You need a handshaking, either hardware or software.

Software handshaking is the simpler, as far as your printer is able to
handle it. For using it, include the following stty settings in your
printer interface file (located in /usr/spool/lp/interface/<yourprintername>):
	-clocal ixon ixany

For hardware handshaking, your wiring needs to be adapted. Refer to your
printer manual and the manual pages in serial(HW). Then include the
following stty settings in your printer interface file:
	clocal rtsflow ctsflow

Hope that helps
Rgds
Ralf.

--
| Programmentwicklung   fuer    Microcomputer  |     Ralf U. Holighaus      |
| PO-Box 810165          Vaihinger Strasse 49  |     >> PEM Support <<      |