Bootable floppy

cliff bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Mon Nov 19 09:33:43 AEST 1990

I am having a problem creating an emergency boot floppy.  I've tried this with
360k, 1200k and 1440k floppies.  I can format the disk and make a filesystem
but if I try to create a bootable or rootable fs, I get a variety of errors.
Sometimes I get a message "unknown file system version 4294967295" others I get
2nd and 6th char of the file name converted to a space ie /xenix.org becomes
/x nix org.  I can use diskcp to copy an old emergency boot disk but when I try
to copy files to it (after mounting) I get the errors like above. Even when I
create a fs and then manually try to create the emerg boot disk following the
mkdev/fd script, I get the same problem.  Tar works fine.

I just put in a tape drive and wanted to make a new boot system that knew about
this.  I thought this might be the problem but I de-installed and same problems
(CMS from JADE seems to work fine.)

Am I missing an upgrade or doing something stupid?  Mail for answers and I'll
summarize if its not to stupid.

thanks

Cliff
cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com