XENIX AND DOS

Ralf Holighaus ralfi at pemstgt.PEM-Stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 21 03:33:22 AEST 1990

evanc at isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:

>I was planning on buying Xenix for my next computer but I am unsure about
>it's compatibility with my existing DOS programs. Can it run DOS
>applications? Thanks.

There are several ways.

The easiest way is to use Xenix and Dos NOT simultaneously. You simply leave
a DOS partition on your disk and either activate it with FDISK to run DOS
and activate XENIX to run XENIX, or you only activate XENIX and tell XENIX
at boot time to boot DOS at the boot : prompt.

The other possibilities apply only if you run a 386 system.

You could either run XENIX386 with VP/ix (extra product) or
run SCO Open Desktop, where DOS/Merge is bundled.

Both products enable you to run DOS as an additional task under Unix/XENIX.

Rgds
Ralf.

--
| Programmentwicklung   fuer    Microcomputer  |     Ralf U. Holighaus      |
| PO-Box 810165          Vaihinger Strasse 49  |     >> PEM Support <<      |