IDE controllers

Jan Isley jan at bagend.uucp
Sun Nov 25 14:53:37 AEST 1990

In article <5857 at crash.cts.com> root at crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) writes:
>I too speak from experience.  The problem with IDE drives and Xenix is
>not the drive or the controller ON the drive.  It is with the adapter
>card that plugs into the motherboard and connects to the drive.  Some
>of the adapter boards are very sensitive to the buss timings of the
>motherboard.  They will do anything from refuse to boot Xenix
>altogether to occasional lockups and other strange behavior.  It is
>the adapter, NOT the drive.  Adapters that I have found work
>consistently in a wide variety of motherboards are by Priam and Conner.

I cannot remember having any problems using Conner boards, but I
religiously avoid noname, made in the Far East motherboards.  The worst
problems I have had with Xenix and IDE drives were using motherboards
with *builtin* IDE controllers.  In these cases, SCO could not be made
to recognize that there was a drive/controller in the system.  Total blank.
These same combinations ran fine with vanilla 3.2 from AT&T.
--
Do not suffer the company of fools.  | home jan at bagend 404-434-1335
Buddha                               | known_universe!gatech!bagend!jan