Xenix on 486

mel mel at fleet.UUCP
Sat Nov 10 17:55:17 AEST 1990

I've been running my business on a Hewlett-Packard RS 486/25 for the last
six months.  I have 10 megs of memory, an Archive 150 meg tape drive,
a Computone EISA style bus master ALC controller with one 16 way Async
feature module.  The controller has a 80386sx processor (@16 mhtz)
and the Async used for 16 serial ports has a 80C186 processor (@12.5 mhtz)
The ALC controller can handle three 16-way modules.

I'm running 10 terminals, 5 printers and one Telebit modem.  All of
the terminals are running at 38.4 Kbaud.

I'm using Xenix ver 2.3.3 GT (with the update) on HP's 330 megbyte ESDI drive
with two partitions.

PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN FLAWLESS!! (AND VERY, VERY FAST!!) ...

Nominally, about 2 to 2.5 times faster than the HP 386/20 CPU I was using.
This includes disk intensive operations too.

I've never had a crash or even a port locking up!  Congrats to HP on a
job well done!! Perhaps buying from an old established firm like HP was
worth the additional dollars I spent relative to some of those good ole
clones out there?

Mel Shear
!rex!flee!mel
New Orleans, Louisiana USA