Hanging up + resetting the modem from a script file?

Michael Squires mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Sat Nov 24 15:42:06 AEST 1990

>In article <6292 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s892024 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. Muirden) writes:
>> I need to write a routine that checks to see if anyone is logged on via
>> I've tried uuchat but this doesn't give the correct results. Any help would

I have run one system under XENIX 2.3.2 with two lines operating bi-
directionally and SCO UNIX 3.2.1 (ODT 1.0) with one line operating
bidirectionally and uuchat has seemed to work.  Both modems are the
type (USR DS and Telebit TB+) that reset themselves when DTR is dropped,
which uuchat does even if its attempt to talk to the modem fails.

In both cases uuchat is driven (for the Telebit) by entries in Dialers
rather than a dialer program.  For SCO UNIX 3.2.1/ODT 1.0 the manual is
wrong on setting up a bidirectional line, must use /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -t 60
in place of /etc/getty.
--

Mike Squires (mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408