Bootable floppy

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM
Mon Nov 26 13:28:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov18.223343.564 at cjbsys.bdb.com>
		cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) writes:

    [detailed problems with creating an emergency boot floppy deleted]

I know that the original poster asked for e-mailed responses, but I think
that this is of general interest.  These symptoms are due to a hardware
problem with certain brands of 16-bit VGA cards.

Here is an entry from SCO's Information Tools database, describing the
problem and its solution.

. Mkdev fd does not work properly with some video adapters.
.
. KEYWORDS: mkdev fd video adapters 16 bit floppy disk filesystem root boot
. xenix unix vga
.
. RELEASE: SCO XENIX System V Operating System Generic
.          SCO UNIX System V/386 Operating System Generic
.
. PROBLEM: Both 16 bit video adapters and the floppy drives use DMA channel
.          2. Therefore, when writing to, or reading from, a floppy disk drive
.          the video adapter controller may add or intercept characters from
.          the floppy disk data stream, thereby corrupting the floppy.
.
. SOLUTION: Move the video adapter to an 8 bit slot.
.

Note that this is a *hardware* problem, and cannot be worked around by any
software fix.

	-p

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz at sco.COM
We only know in theory what we are doing.   - Kate Bush
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.