XENIX AND DOS

Warren Tucker wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Wed Nov 21 08:20:45 AEST 1990

In article <721 at pdxgate.UUCP> berggren at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>evanc at isishq.fidonet.org (Evan Champion) writes:
>
>>I was planning on buying Xenix for my next computer but [no DOS support]
>  No, DOS and XENIX are completely different altogether. It has a couple
>of utilities for access the DOS fs, but that is as close as it gets.
>  I wonder what it would take to onstruct an emulator? hmmmm.......

There is VPIX and MERGE: the ultimate issues are very complex.
File name mapping, I/O and interrupt management, and a whole lot of things
I ain't thought about add up to lotsa work.

I know nothing about VPIX, but the MERGE that is a part of SCO
ODT (UNIX 3.2 + X + MERGE + Ingress + TCP/IP) is EXCELLENT.  I
run a wide variety of DOS programs under ODT with great results
(it is a lot easier to write DOS programs to manipulate devices
than to write UNIX device drivers, making ODT and excellent
ground for exploring new devices before biting the big one and
beginning kernel hacking).  No DOS partitions to fool with
(unless you want them), no configuration file hacking (unless you
want to get very fancy).

It is nice to have multiple DOS sessions going at once. Windows 3
and Presentation Manager may do that, but you can't hop into a
UNIX session with them ;->.