telnet login problem

Lance N. Antrim lance at embassy.nsi.com
Wed Nov 21 15:04:17 AEST 1990

I am running streams and tcp/ip with Xenix 2.3.2 (official release of
tcp/ip).  The problem is that after making a connection from my
macintosh via telnet then connection usually drops (19 out of 20 times).
 Most of the drops are accompanied by the message "Foreign reset".

My Mac program successfully executes ftp, finger, and whois.  Another
program also executes ftp but has a 90% fail rate from telnet.  It seems
to depend on the Xenix end of the connection more than the specific mac
program.

On a possibly related matter, a friend who tried to log in on a dial in
line couldn't do so from his system (which had a convergent tech PT2
terminal) because of some codes sent by Xenix on login.  The cdes don't
show up on my terminals, but a capture file showed that something was
being sent out as soon as the connection was made.

So, 1) has anyone else had a similar problem connection to Xenix via
telnet?  2) Is anyone familiar with whatever codes are being transmitted
on login via the dialup lines?

Thanks,
Lance Antrim
lance at nsi.com