g++ on Xenix/386 (maybe)

Ron Srodawa srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Wed Nov 21 14:46:08 AEST 1990

The good news is I managed to build and install g++ today.  The bad news
is it finished five minutes before going off to teach classes and I can't
get back to it until Monday.  If testing shows we have a good compiler,
I'll put it up for anonymous ftp on unix.oakland.edu (141.210.180.2).

It wasn't hard, but it sure wasn't easy!  I started by installing the new
SCO Development System Upgrade..Release 2.3.1b.  (This is available for
free from SCO.)  Then I updated that with SLS lng244.  I installed the
new gcc, gas, gdb (two diskette version) from Ron and Steve at RoboBar.

I previously installed bison.  Next I brought down the full gas source
and built it per the instructions in the Xenix release.  After that I
brought down the gcc-1.37.1 source and built that.  Here I had some
problems.  Patch blew up on one of the files and I ended up doing the
edit by hand. (Some error messages then an IOT error.)  The first few
stabs didn't work (include file problems..probably brought on by the
latest SCO updates.)  Finally I generated gcc again (using gcc as the
compiler and keeping -tradition as a flag.)  I went all the way through
stage2.  Two modules don't compare, but what the heck, each time they
are a little different.  I didn't install this, using the RoboBar
binaries instead.  I bypassed building gdb as it isn't required for
installing g++.

Now I brought down g++-1.37.1 source ad applied the set of patches
communicated by Steve and Ron a bit ago.  I wrote some sh loops to
get all the "ln"'s right, including config.  I had a touch more
trouble with include files (size_t) when building gnulib2.  Finally
I let the whole giant make loose.  It bombed on the compile for
collect.c (there was no source file specified).  Fixed that and we
got ourselves a compiler.

I'm a little concerned because size_t seems to be unsigned int in
Xenix includes, but unsigned long in gcc includes.

Again, if it works, I'll make it available.  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa at unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa at egrunix.UUCP          |