How would you handle 5000+ users?

Keith Walker kew at cims2.uucp
Tue Nov 6 12:45:13 AEST 1990

What happens when you ask XENIX to handle 5000+ users in a passwd
file? Is this the way to do things? All we want to do really is
provide for e-mail between all of these users; but there's sooo many!
I've never dealt with a system larger than about 100 users (and note
that that is *users* not terminals -- there are only eight modems and
a couple of terminals), and the thought of having to deal with over
5000 users seems slightly intimidating.

Does a stock XENIX or UNIX handle this kind of load well? Obviously,
all those people aren't on-line at the same time, but is having a passwd
file with 5000+ lines in it and 5000+ home directories just asking too
much of humble XENIX?

Please e-mail your response. I don't think that this topic has wide
interest, but I would like to start a conversation with someone that
have dealt with problems like this before.

Keith Walker           Domain: kew at cims.com
                         UUCP: uunet!proto!cims2!kew
			Voice: +1 509/466-9384