9600 baud modems and Xenix

Dylan Rhodes shark at asylum.SF.CA.US
Sat Nov 17 11:32:35 AEST 1990

My setup: Xenix 286 2.3.2 (I know, it's a dinosaur), running on
an Epson Equity 382/20.

Brand new Practical Periphials 9600SA external modem, which does
300/1200/2400/9600 V.32, V.42, V.42bis.  This system is running
a BBS which gets about 50 calls per day.  The number, by the way,
is 415-540-6719 for the 9600SA.

Here's my problem:

	After I *finally* hacked together a working 9600 dialer,
and got it to dial out at 9600 and let incoming callers connect
at 9600, I've found that the serial port it's talking to (tty1A,
a serial card) is mysteriously dropping down to 2400 baud!

	I have /etc/ttys set up so that it uses entry 0 in /etc/gettydefs.
Entry 0 in gettydefs is the 9600 entry.  Normally, I have it go to
the 1-2-3 cycle on BREAKs.

	So everything checks out okay.  getty is running 0.  When the
modem is idle, the port is running at 9600 baud.  Yet when people
call at 9600 (at least when I've been around to look), the modem thinks
it's doing 9600, but 'stty' tells me that the port is talking to the
modem at 2400.  This results in callers describing information coming
in "chunks" as the modem waits for the slow serial port to send data
from the PC.

	Next, I modified gettydefs so that entry 0, the 9600 baud entry,
cycles back to 0 when the user hits a BREAK.  And it's STILL HAPPENING!

	This system also has a Digiboard, to which we have attached several
PCs as dumb terminals.  They have no problem connecting (and staying at)
9600 baud.

	HELP!  What can I possibly be doing wrong?

	Anybody???

--
-= Dylan Rhodes.  decwrl!asylum!herctec!shark or shark at herctec.com =-
-= I really should be doing something a bit more useful right now. =-