Summary of Request for Comparison of Altos and NCR

John Cowan cowan at marob.masa.com
Fri Oct 19 04:29:16 AEST 1990

In article <18601 at rpp386.cactus.org>,
	jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <CEDMAN.90Oct17082702 at lynx.ps.uci.edu>,
>	cedman at lynx.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
>>Just a short and (IMHO funny) note: Do you know how many instructions
>>a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Coding) CPU by IBM has ? 186 !
>>Yes, this is the number of the machine instructions for the new
>>IBM 6000 series.
>
>the definition which seems to be in place at IBM regarding the
>S/6000 is "reduced instruction set cycles".

I actually asked about this point when IBM came out with the RT machine.
The answer was:  "The official IBM definition of RISC is 'Any IBM machine
with fewer instructions than a System/360'".

This comes about because all IBM RISC work began with the 809, an attempt
to strip down the S/360 instruction set.
--
cowan at marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban