connecting leased line modems

Russ Kepler russ at bbx.basis.com
Thu Oct 4 06:30:39 AEST 1990

I've got a curious problem that seems to be immune to solution:

There is a customer of ours that desires a leased line for a
remote terminal.  Never mind the cost of leased vs. dialed, etc.
I just can't get the damn thing to stay connected or to display
a 'login:'!

The gettydef on the line is the 'm' entry (should look local),
the tty is /dev/tty1a (note the lower case 'a').  The modems
are Hayes 9600 V.32's and their front panels indicate a
modem<->modem connection.  The connection is using a 2 wire
leased line.

I'm at a loss.  The problem appears to be in the modem<->system
connection - I'm flying someone out today with smart cables to
check (did I mention the site is about 500 miles away?).

Any ideas?  (Only *useful* ideas need apply ;-)

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis Int'l     SNAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
UUCP: bbx.basis.com!russ                                    PHONE: 505-345-5232