line printer spooler question

David R. Mayne david at wmms.UUCP
Thu Oct 11 07:12:46 AEST 1990

The line printer spooler which comes standard with SCO Xenix V version 2.3.1
presents some problems for several of my clients. Various software packages,
such as Wordperfect for Xenix, require their own seperate printer interface
programs to work with a particular printer. The printer name for a Wordperfect
spooler will be different from a printer name used by Elan's Eroff, as the
interface scripts provide different functionality, even though the physical
device for the printer is the same. Unfortunately, from my experiences, the
lp spooler utility does not lock on the device name, but apparently provides
locking on the printer name. So when one of my clients sends output from
Eroff and another from Wordperfect at the same time, the resulting output
from the printer is usually scrambled, and occasionally, the lp scheduler
seems to go to sleep (i.e. no more requests can be printed from any printer).

SOoooo, my question is : Is there a pd replacement for the Xenix V version
2.3.1 lp spooler (seems to be compatible with the AT&T 5.2 lp spooler)
which will provide device-level locking, but will still work with my current
interface scripts ?

I would greatly appreciate any information on fixes or work-arounds to
this problem. E-mail if possible, as I'm not certain whether or not
my feed carries comp.unix.xenix.

Thanks in advance,

--
David R. Mayne         1364 Normandy Dr. NE             Atlanta, GA 30306
david at wmms             (404) 876-0943        ...!gatech!bagend!wmms!david