'no file' console message and open file table?

Doug Toppin toppin at melpar.UUCP
Tue Oct 16 07:00:36 AEST 1990

We are running SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on the 286.
We have a problem with the message 'no file' appearing on
our system consoles occasionally.
We are running approx. 40 applications with a number of
attaches to shared memory and numerous Ethernet connections.
The kernel is configured for 200 open files and 200 inodes.
I cannot increase NFILE and NINODE because there are only
a few bytes of data space left in the kernel.
pstat says that I usually have 110 files open and yet I still
get the 'no file' message at unpredictable intervals.
I don't believe that a burst of file activity is occurring
and increasing the count to 200.
I am suspicious of pstat and its count and what it includes in it.
I am interested in using an application to monitor the number
of open files directly without the overhead of a 'popen' to 'pstat'.
I have an application that reads the file table from the
memory device but I never seem to get the correct stuff.
Even when I use 'adb /xenix /dev/mem' and look at '_file'
I don't believe that I am actually looking at the file table.
My questions are:
1) do shared memory attaches, semaphore, etc..., appear in the
   open file count?
2) what does get included in the pstat open file count?
3) has anyone got a simple application that does get the file
   table contents?

Please post responses or drop me a line.
thanks
Doug Toppin
uunet!melpar!toppin