aha-1542b and scsicntl.exe

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.UUCP
Mon Sep 10 10:04:54 AEST 1990

You may have to slow down the CPU in order to get scsicntl.exe to
work properly.

With the track read buffer turned on, I saw Xenix file reads increase
from 36 kHz to up to say 200 kHz, extremely dependent on how fragmented
the file was.

On SCO Unix I now get around 400 to just over 600 kHz when doing
"time cp file /dev/null", depending on how fragmented the file is
and how many daemons go bump in the night.

Backups to tape are very much faster except for directories with many
tiny files.  My file browser program loads files in a flash.  But you
won't see much difference in most commands.  After all, what compiler
can do 400,000 lines per minute on a 386?