Which 386 UNIX binaries run on which 386 UNIXs ?

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver
Tue Sep 4 11:31:16 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Sep04.000727.17429 at virtech.uucp>, by cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill):

Hmm,

> 2ND IMPORTANT NOTE: While you can run Xenix executables on UNIX and
> vice-versa, you cannot use the standard debugging tools to view core
> files generated from executables for the other system.  You will also
> have a problem reading Xenix libraries on Unix systems and probably
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Just curious are there tools to create lib files on SCO UNIX that other
386 versions of UNIX will read. Or is this standard when you use 'rcc'.
Also is there a obj file conversion program to move to coff?

  With respect to debugging the corefile. I would assume that developers
distributing object files for other 386 version of UNIX would do so in
COFF format and therefor would have the problem with linking and useing
other 386 debugging tools. Or did I miss the boat somewhere?

> vice-versa.  By "reading" I mean using them to link with a program.  This
> important note does not apply to SCO UNIX, since it has the Xenix compiler
> and development tools.

  I don't understand why someone would want to do that anyways?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400