running out of inodes

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Mon Sep 17 06:44:41 AEST 1990

In article <221 at oneb.UUCP> kmcvay at oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:
>My /u filesystem is running out of inodes with 65% storage space utilized.
>How can I increase available inodes, and can I do so without reformatting
>the drive? I have set inodes avail. to 350, and still get these results:
                                        ^how did you "set" this ??

The number of inodes which a filesystem can have is set when the file
system is created, see mkfs(1M) in TFM.  The max number of inodes you
can have in a filesystem is 65500 (sounds like an unsigned short to me!),
of course those inodes are wasted if you have < 65500 blocks in your
filesystem.  You should set the number of inodes equal to the number
of blocks in filesystems you create.  You will have to backup your /u
filesystem to disk or tape, and use mkfs to recreate the filesystem
with more inodes.

Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art