Using COM3 under SCO XENIX

Dr. Srodawa srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Tue Sep 25 12:05:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep24.191042.724 at d.cs.okstate.edu> klarich at d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) writes:

>I am currently using 4 ports under xenix 2.3.2.  Everything works as it
>should.  However, the catch is that you must use an irq line for each port.
>My ports are using 2, 3, 4 and 5.  I have an article which says the CORRECT
>procedure to make this work.  I don't remember who wrote it.

No one has mentioned the obvious solution.  Use an n-way card.  These
generally are designed to use only one IRQ and have only a single interrupt
status register.  I have a generic 4-way card purchased from a large west
coast mailorder house.  The card wasn't very expensive, and it can be
configured either as 4 Ms_DOS type devices, or as a Xenix device.  By
Xenix, they mean what I just decscribed.  The card works with the standard
Xenix asynch driver without a hitch.  I wouldn't even consider playing around
with 4 ports in the MS-DOS way of doing things.  Ron.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa at unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa at egrunix.UUCP          |