Hard disks with > 1024 Cylindars

John Romkey romkey at asylum.SF.CA.US
Sun Sep 2 04:50:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug31.022148.5775 at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> utgpu!rom!mark, utgpu!rompub writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with this or similar drives under Xenix
>or Unix.  Can it be used reliably?

I'm using a 1658 cylinder, 15 head ESDI disk with a WD1007SV-?? (can't
remember those letters right now) disk controller under SCO Xenix with
no problems; I can access the entire disk (no geometry remapping or
anything). I hadn't heard about the root partition restriction, but
that should be relatively easy to get around. I suspect the problem is
that /boot reads in /xenix (or /unix) using BIOS routines, which
probably won't be able to go beyond 1024 cylinders, so you have to
guarantee that /xenix or /unix is entirely within the first 1024
cylinders. So, just make the root partition be less than 1024
cylinders long and you're set. Put other stuff like user accounts in
partitions like /u.
--
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey at asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey at ftp.com