(no subject given)

Greg Wettstein NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET
Tue Jan 29 01:18:02 AEST 1991

I picked up the latest version of RCS 5.5 from prep.ai.mit.edu over the
weekend and was going to bring it up under XENIX 2.3.3 using GCC.  Previously
I had installed RCS 4.7(?) and had not difficulties whatsoever.

After hammering out a couple of problems with the auto-configuration script
that comes with 5.5 the package compiled without any problems.  Just before
I installed it I decided to run the rcstest script that is included in the
new release.

Much to my surprise a failure was noted with the rcsdiff command.  The
rcsdiff command claims that there are three more lines different than
there should be in test case.  As a quick check I checked out the two
versions with co and then diffed them and came up with the same set of
differences that the test case says there should be.

The problem appears to be that the rcsdiff command expands a $LOG$ header
that the co command does not.  At this point I am not sure if there is
a problem with RCS or a problem wih the test script.  The test script
performs an extremely complicated set of operations on the version file
prior to the rcsdiff operation so I have not had the time to isolate the
problem to a simple test case.

If anyone has brought up RCS 5.5 with GCC under XENIX 2.3.3 drop me a note
and let me know of any problems you had.  If someone has had a problem
bringin up RCS 5.5 on another platform I would be interested in that as
well.  I am extremely reluctant to begin committing sources to 5.5 until
I have this issue resolved.  Please use the address in my sig when
replying since mail gets to me much faster at that address.  Thanks in
advance for any information or insight that may be forthcoming.

                            As always,
                            Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                            Oncology Research Division Computing Facility
                            Fargo Clinic / MeritCare

                            UUCP: uunet!plains!wind!greg
                            INTERNET: greg%wind.uucp at plains.nodak.edu
                            Phone: 7001-234-2833

`The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other
 men expound their wisdom.'