help with uucp needed

Chris Czerwinski chrisc at astroatc.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 06:45:59 AEST 1991

In article <1990Dec28.190803.19672 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> pacolley at violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) writes:
:-)In article <88 at gdx.UUCP> jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:
:-)>
:-)>$ uucp wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z ~uucp
:-)>
:-)>yeilds:
:-)>
:-)>illegal  syntax wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z
:-)>
:-)>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?
:-)
:-)Indirect UUCP doesn't work for me either.  So far, the only reply has
:-)been along the lines of "tough, call direct".
:-)
:-)Which doesn't answer the question!  The manual claims it's fine, but
:-)any attempt to have a!b!file as source gives "illegal syntax".  Assuming
:-)I have permissions from the machines in the path, what's the problem?
:-)
:-)Better yet, what's the fix?
:-)

I encountered this problem when I first started experimenting with uucp.
One thing you may want to try is to precede your ! with \ (ie. a\!b\!file)
This will have the shell interpret the ! literally instead of a command
such as !!...

--
USENET, a cooperatively run anarchic worldwide bulletin-board that receives
an estimated 8 Mbytes of traffic daily and is received by more than 1 million

          Chris Czerwinski     ...!uunet!uwvax!astroatc!chrisc
	  Astronautics Corp. of America