Multiple cron executions under XENIX 2.3.3.

mike at bria.UUCP mike at bria.UUCP
Thu Jan 24 14:10:54 AEST 1991

In an article, Greg Wettstein writes:
[...]
>The machine is very lightly loaded and about three weeks ago I noticed that
>cron was executing its assigned tasks twice in very rapid succession.  One
>of its jobs is to do automated report generating each evening and the boss
>started telling me that he was getting two identical reports mailed to him
>each evening.
[...]

I had a similar problem once.  One way to track down when cron is being
fired up is to enable process accounting using accton(1), let it run for
a day, and then look for cron's using acctcom(1).  If you show only one
cron being fired up, it could be a problem with your software clock
(although this is unlikely).  It could be that cron is hosed, but I doubt
that too.
--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike