TCP/IP and Printer-Sharing ???

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Sun Jan 13 04:53:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan5.134530.7865 at cjbsys.bdb.com>, cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) writes:
> In article <1991Jan4.001756.11917 at buchonia.rhoen.in-berlin.de> horke at buchonia.rhoen.in-berlin.de (Bernhard Kroenung) writes:
> >Is there any possibility to share a printer between two machines runnig
> >TCP/IP ??? Any hints ? Any PD-Programms ?
> >
> >  Ciao
> >    Bernhard
> >--
> >Bernhard Kroenung, Bahnhofstr. 8, D-W6408 Ebersburg/Rhoen, Germany +49 6656 386
> >horke at buchonia.rhoen.in-berlin.de sysop at fulmin.zer.sub.org Kronung at DGIHRZ01.BIT
>
> Try something like cat filen | rcmd otherhost lp.

Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but if I look at all the other
unread articles, I'll forget to respond.

The way we use with Xenix machines is:

Given:	machineA, machineB, and printer1 connected to machineA

To make printer1 look like a "regular" printer to machineB (that is
you can print to it using normal lp commands) run "mkdev lp" on machineB
and tell it is a "remote" printer, that you want to use Micnet (we'll fix
that later), that the system the printer is on
is "machineA", that the printer is named "printer1" on machineA and that
you want it to be called "printer1" on machineB, as well (no sense keeping
track of two different names, is there).  "mkdev lp" will go on to set up
the printer, and add a line to "/usr/spool/lp/remote" that looks like:

printer1: remote - machineA lp -dprinter1

change this line to look like

printer1: rcmd machineA lp -dprinter1

and "Voila!" you have a printer that looks local to machineB, but anything
sent to it, is copied over the network to machineA.  This method works
well - we use it to share about 25 printers among 8 computers in three
states.  It really helps inter-office paper flow when you can print a report
directly to someone's printer, rather than mailing or faxing it to them.

Good luck.  Send e-mail if you need more info or better instructions.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651