Problem setting up UUCP

Pedro Victor Pintus peter at secyt.gov.ar
Wed Jan 9 06:58:53 AEST 1991

In article <6736 at crash.cts.com> root at crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) writes:
>In <144100018 at cdp> jim at cdp.UUCP writes:
>}>Just put a line saying 'spoolonly' in /etc/default/mail, and voila!
>}
>}Does this really work?  (I know, I could try it.)  How did you find this
>}information.  I looked in through all my manuals and couldn't find any
>}mention of 'spoolonly'.  /etc/default/mail is not even mentioned in the
>}list of relevant files in the mail man entry.
>
>I don't see how it could.  If you do a strings of /usr/bin/mail,
>you'll find no reference to a spoolonly text, or /etc/default/mail.
>
>--Bill

I (as the original poster of this 'spoolonly' gotcha), can assure that
it works; I found this when I was in the same trouble using SCO's mail
and execmail, instead of a reasonable mailer as I am using now (smail 3.1,
btw).
I agree, the info isn't easy to find; I found it (with very much work)
in the Xenix SysV Release 2.2 OS User's Guide, Chapter 'Building a
Communication System', on top of the page # 6-39.

I quote the related paragraph:

"'uux' is used by 'mail(C)' when sending mail to a remote site. If you do not
want 'mail' to call the remote site inmediately, place the line 'spoolonly' in
the file '/etc/default/mail/'"

It's a strange thing, since, as you says, (and I check it), neither 'mail'
nor 'execmail' or 'uux' refers to /etc/default/mail or 'spoolonly'.
But, believe it or not, it works.

Cheers,
|  Pedro Victor Pintus                          |
|  Secretaria de Ciencia y Tecnologia           |
|  Buenos Aires, Rep. Argentina                 |
|  Internet: peter at secyt.ar                     |
|  UUCP    : ...!uunet!banyc!atina!secyt!peter  |