Help - Compiling ecu3

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 07:23:20 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.xenix.sco you write:

>Finally got all of the pieces to ecu3, including patch1, but for some
>reason I am unable to get it to compile.

Mhh I had some trouble too, but got around it.

>I recieve a number of warnings about M_Termcap redirection in those files
>utilizing /usr/include/curses.h, one error at link stage concerning
>_calloc being defined twice in /lib/386/Slibc.a(calloc.o) and one
>fatal error in ecuutil.c about unresollved externals by /bin/ld
>concerning _memmove.

To get rid of the _memove problem , just ad a -DDUFF in the CFLAGS line
in the Makefile.

To get rid of the _calloc being defined twice, i had to do a REAL jippo
job.  First, I extracted the calloc.o file from /lib/386/Slibc.a (using
'ar').  Then I went in with a binary editor and changed the one
_calloc definition to _xalloc (so it wouldn't clash with the other _callot
in that file) then replaced this modified calloc.o back into /lib/386/Slibc.a
and then compiled.

>I have attempted to modifiy the makefile in many different ways, but
>regardless, it always bombs in exacxtly the same manner.

I'm no programmer either, but i've learned how to fiddle around enough to
get stuff to compile :-)

I suspect the problem is that the author is using the 2.3.1 development
system and i'm only using 2.3.0.

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP
- UNIX is like sex - if you've tried it, you can't get along without it. -