rlogin (and/or /bin/login) under SCO Xenix and TCP/IP

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Fri Jan 18 10:59:40 AEST 1991

In article <2642 at wn1.sci.kun.nl>, lwj at cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) writes:

> There is a way to fix this on SCO UNIX; this may apply to SCO XENIX
> as well (I haven't tested it there). What happens is that (on SCO UNIX
> at least) rlogind passed the correct TERM environment variable to the
> login shell, but it is ignored by tset (which you probably have somewere
> in /etc/profile). The secret is hidden in a paragraph in the manual

Nope.  The reason I never noticed the problem was that I *DID* have tset
in my .profile.  Our normal users don't have tset in .profile, and it's
not in /etc/profile, since they expect us (the administrators) to make sure
the term type gets set for them.  It was when I started testing things
as a normal user that I noticed that the terminal type always came
up "unknown".

> NB. It is sometimes helpful in cases like this to include a 'set'
> command in /etc/profile, to see what is coming in and who destroys it.

I added "env" as the very first command in /etc/profile and TERM always
equals "unknown" when rlogin'ing into the Xenix box.

> Hope this helps.

Nope, but I do appreciate the effort.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651