MSDOS 4.01 and SCO Xenix: Bad mix?

Eric Berggren berggren at eecs.cs.pdx.edu
Wed Jan 9 12:45:52 AEST 1991

yee at aix02.aix.rpi.edu (Lester W Yee) writes:

>HELP!!!   I just spoke with a SCO pre-sales technical representative and
>he indicated that MSDOS 4.01 and SCO Xenix are incompatible with each other.
>I was talking with the rep about SCO sys rel 3.2.2 and told me that it would
>only build the kernel correctly with DOS 3.3.  Now, my problem is that the
>computer came with DOS 4.01 and I have no way of go back down to 3.3.  Anyway,
>it looks like I can't use the product.  I also doubt I can use a previous
>SCO rel either.. ARGG!!!  Has anybody installed SCO Xenix using 4.01???

  Well, I'm running XENIX 286 rel 2.2.1 with DOS on other partitions.
What I ended up doing, is setting up a DOS 3.1 partition about 1 meg in
size, installed system, etc., then set up another partition under 4.01,
also with system, etc. for programs like format to use. In the config.sys
file in the first partition I INSTALled assign (no options), among the usu.
other things, and then ran E:AUTOEXEC.BAT from C:AUTOEXEC.BAT. In my
E:AUTOEXEC.BAT I JOINed E:\BOOT to C:, and then ASSIGNed C=E to avoid the
funny drive specs. I have been using this for a couple of years and
have had very little trouble.

-e.b.