Dial-in and Dial-out on same line

Andrew J Michael eesrajm at cc.brunel.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 04:24:45 AEST 1991

First of all, can I say a big "thanks" to those who replied to my "Beginner's
Questions" post here recently.

I've got another question now - a problem in trying to get a modem to support
both dial-in and dial-out.

The modem is a Dowty Quattro, which is an auto-baud 2400bps beast, with Hayes
command set.  The OS is Xenix System V 386 V2.3.2.

I have installed the modem as per RTFM.  The only difference is that since the
modem always uses 2400 baud regardless of the phone line speed, I have used a
fixed speed entry of 2400 in gettydefs.

If I disable /dev/tty1A and chown /dev/tty1A to uucp, I can use cu to dial out
quite happily.  Cu is even picking up the correct number from the Systems file.

However, when I enable tty1A, strange things happen.  Cu tries to work, but
when it connects, I get my own machine's login prompts all over the screen.
It seems that getty is not being disabled during the cu dial-out, and as soon
as DCD goes active, it tries to start a login on tty1A.  What is even more
strange is that when I exit from cu, something has changed the ownership of
/dev/tty1A back to root, which causes cu to fail next time round.

On further investigation, I see that before I start the cu, getty is running
with a terminal of "?".  As soon as cu starts, getty attaches itself to tty1A.
Cu is creating a lockfile, so I don't understand why getty suddenly becomes
active at exactly the time I would expect it to sleep.  The man page for getty
says that combined dial-in/dial-out will only work when uucp is installed.
What exactly does this mean - how does getty KNOW when uucp is installed ?

I'm probably doing something pretty silly, but I just can't see it.  Any help
or pointers would be gratefully accepted.

Regards
Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael (eesrajm at cc.brunel.ac.uk)      "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                        couldn't possibly comment."