1Gbyte file on a 130Mb drive (fsdb)

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.UUCP
Tue Jun 25 15:48:35 AEST 1991

How does one deal with a bogus 1Gigabyte file?
I have a Xenix 2.3.3 system that has ls magically
declare a 45Mb accounting file as 1Gbyte huge.

ls	declares it to be 1Gb big.
du	agrees.
df -v	gives the correct filesystem size.
fsck	"Possible wrong file size I=140" (no other errors).

To add to the problem, I'm having difficulty doing
a backup before attacking.

compress  bombs due to lack of working diskspace.
tar, cpio, afio   insist on trying to backup 1Gb of something.
dd  at least works and I can fit the 130Mb filesystem on one
QIC-150 tape (whew).  To add to the wierdness, all the
reports generated by the application (Armor Systems Excalibur
Acctg) work perfectly as if nothing were wrong.

Obviously a job for fsdb.  However, every book I own and
the SCO ADM manuals give a terse and/or trivial example of
fsdb usage.  Can anyone recommend a book that has a detailed
explanation for using fsdb?  Any brilliant advice?

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave     Ben Lomond    CA  95005
# 408.336.2558  voice           WB6SSY @ KI6EH.#NOCAL.CA.USA   packet radio