Better DOS programs, anyone? (so I can scrap doscp)

Rainer Orth ro at thp.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jun 6 06:28:29 AEST 1991

In article <699 at genco.bungi.com> dls at genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:

> I can't take it any more.  On SCO Xenix 2.3.3, my doscp takes SO
> long to copy files!  Sometimes it runs out of memory!  Is there an
> alternative method?  (No, I don't have VP/ix - will anyone sell me
> a copy for cheap?)  I have used the DOS utilities under Minix, and
> in many cases Minix will read and write DOS files FASTER than DOS.
> I would hope that there would that Xenix would be able to do so somehow.
> Perhaps someone has ported the Minix utilities to Xenix?  If not,
> I may - before I go insane waiting for doscp to finish.

Try mtools version 2.0.4 from

	cerl.cecer.army.mil [129.229.1.101]
	~ftp/pub/mtools/mtools_sh.[1-4].Z

I use it both on a SparcStation 1+ or 2 running SunOS 4.1 and on
my Atari/ST at home running Minix 1.6.15.

On the sparc its nearly twice as fast as the new dos filesystem introduced
in SunOS 4.1.1, on the atari more than twice as fast as the tos command suite
(which is equivalent to the dos command on Minix/PC.)

Hope this helps.

	Rainer