Can't adress PC-Bus

Joe Foster 6600joef at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 5 11:09:30 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.xenix.sco <chris at neabbs.UUCP> writes:

>Who knows if it's possible to adress the PC-bus, when your
>computer is running under SCO Unix V/386 version 3.2?

Only the UNIX kernel may directly access I/O ports and physical memory (in
case those cards are memory-mapped). Your friend will have to write drivers
for each interface card. There are plenty of books and things on this
subject, but writing device drivers is something like black magic. If these
cards have a BIOS, it is unusable in UNIX. If the manufacturer of the cards
does not want to divulge the low-level info needed to write a driver for it,
your friend is out of luck.

Good luck!

Joe Foster
6600joef at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu